Wednesday, January 21

NEXT MEETING
JANUARY 28, 2009, 7:30 PM at the Winslow Center

COLOR AND DESIGN FOR THE SPINNER, with LOU GRANTHAM

"So Janet said to me one day,"You talk different" (than other fiber teachers) She was referring to my ongoing references to art terms such as color triad, complimentary colors, Fibonacci, movement, symmetry and so on. You may think of yourself as spinner first, and possible as a fiber artist second, but if your work delights , or elicits a response, artist you are. So it is your eye and sensibility I will talking to in this lecture, and questioning what make color and design pleasurable and how can you apply it to your craft.

"I decided at the age of 7 years, that weaving would be my profession. At the age of 20, I met my role model, Augusta Oliver a vibrant 89-year-old weaver and studio owner, with whom I apprenticed. Since then, I’ve supported myself by selling hand spun natural dyed yarns, commissioned wall hangings, tapestries, production weaving, rug weaving, teaching, and retailing weaving equipment and supplies. In 1980 I opened San Francisco Fiber, a yarn and weaving shop, where I also ran a gallery and an extensive class list featuring many well known textile artist. Later, I received my BA in fine arts, with emphasis in textiles at SF State. Currently, I teach weaving for Civic Arts Education in Walnut Creek, the Mendocino Art Center, and privately. I continue to run SF Fiber from my house in Oakland. My current project focus is on loom controlled shibori pieces for background to a spirit guide mask series."


A date to save in your calendar:
June 6, 2009 is this years date for our Annual Spinners Day at the Winery in Livermore. Write it into your calendar now!


UPCOMING WORKSHOP
Anne Field, from New Zealand, will be here June 13 and 14, 2009 [Saturday and Sunday] to give a workshop to our Guild.

SPINNING OTHER FIBERS

The fibers covered will be silk, alpaca and mohair. We have asked her to put the emphasis on alpaca and mohair for us since we do have several easy opportunities to get both of these fibers locally, and most of us have experience with silk already.

We will begin with observing and discussing the qualities of the fibers and compare those to the qualities we want in the spun yarn. Different preparations and spinning techniques, from worsted through to woollen will be taught to make the yarn reflect the look of the original fiber and the end use. Several different techniques can be used with each fiber, depending on the required appearance and end use. Small sample skeins will be spun and washed, then analyzed. Fibers will be included with the workshop fee. But feel free to bring any that you already have to learn how to spin it well.

We don't have a cost on the workshop yet, but since Will & Kate are once again hosting the workshop, it will help to keep the cost down


PLEASANT HILL CHRISTMAS
Last December's Christmas Party for kids in Pleasant Hill was a big success again. One hundred eighty necklace kits were prepared and after a hectic spin-a-thon for all interested children, only 34 kits are left. Thank you to Will who once again came through for the Guild and made the "rope spinners" for the kids to use. They were a big hit. We explained the activity as a rope making technique and not only were the kids [both boys and girls] intrigued, but also their parents as well. One little girl told me she's been coming for years and this has always been her favorite activity of the night.


Mindy helping to finish one necklace



One little cutie spinning away

No comments: